Jul 15, 2013

C25K - Refresh

Like I said this weekend while I was in 'poor pitiful-woe is me' mode,
I decided to teach myself to run the correct way.

In 2006 when I started my weight loss quest it was an odd journey into the "jogging/wogging" category.  I was doing Weight Watchers and simply logging time on the treadmill.  I had worked my way up in distance and was getting bored to tears on the treadmill for upwards of an hour everyday.  So I started egging myself on to hit the 3mile marker faster to get my arss off the treadmill and so something else.  Eventually I got myself up to jogging on the treadmill, but it included the rails quite a bit.  Jillian Michaels would have yelled and called me a pansy, but hey, I was doing it.  I even got brave enough to start doing 5Ks and logged six of them in 2007.  My fastest time supposedly (which now I look back is nearly impossible to be accurate) was a 34:12.  Lets just say I'd kill for that now!

Life threw me curveballs in my journey in 2009 with a serious car accident which pretty much ended my relationship with my treadmill.

I'll go more into the last four years in another post....but for now, here I am at 37yrs old with a total of nine 5ks under my belt in the last six years and today I started my first real training program to be a 'runner.'



Week 2 Day 1: a 31minute cycle resulting in  2.8 miles.
say what?? that's superslow....less than a basic walk of 4.0mpg.  It had to be the 5minute warm up!?  But I was a good little girl and listened the lady in my earbuds telling me walk or run or cool down.

I struggled with the treadmill and the toggling, but found a groove and setting to toggle between a 4.5mpg walk and a 5.5mpg 'run.'  Technical difficulties were abound with my new ear buds, so I may be shopping for another set soon.

Its supposed to be a 3 workout a week routine, but for the sake of my 430 alarm, I may do it the 5days.  Perhaps doing the Week2 workouts for 5 consecutive days rather than the 3?

I guess I will wait and see what my body tells me its ready for.

2 comments:

  1. Hi April!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog this morning! It's nice to know someone else is in the same boat with trying to enjoy running again, sometimes I feel like I am the only one! Also, thank you for mentioning a tri. I got my bike last fall but a Tri never even crossed my mind. I will have to look into it, though I am a pretty pathetic swimmer, haha.

    I think it is great that you are getting back into running. It's so worth it, even on the days I want to quit!

    Oh and I give you serious props for using the treadmill, it is my nemesis! :)

    Keep running!

    -Amanda @ The Road to October

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about motivating other people to try a 'tri' before me! ha! I have to get this running thing down solid before I try to take on the transitions between events. Swim and bike are solid for me, running is my weakness.
      But I'm going to to do it! (eventually)

      Delete

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...