Jul 18, 2013

On The Table: Salmon Cakes

I have to admit that I surprised myself with this one.  I had gotten stuck at home with LittleOne (LO) because of a doctor's appointment midday that is just impossible to work before or after. 

I had thawed out some salmon that I originally planned to grill in aluminum foil with veggies, but our Austin weather went on a drinking binge and got drunk mid-day.  Seriously, it was crazy to see the temperatures  dip into the 70's in July?? Um, we normally are sweating buckets with temperatures over 100*.

Standing outside in the rain trying to grill did not sound good anymore, so I turned to youtube for a new idea.
And for once I will thank the rain for leading me to a new version of salmon cakes or patties, we all enjoyed dinner far more than just a grilled piece of fish.

This is using fresh salmon, most recipes I googled actually used canned salmon (which I've used before) so it took a hodge podge of recipes and videos to come up with my plan.



Salmon Patties/Cakes with Coleslaw
1 lb of salmon fillets
1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
1/4 cup of finely chopped bell pepper (most would use celery here, but I don't like it)
1 egg
10 crushed Ritz-type crackers
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1 to 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning (like Tonys)
extra breadcrumbs to add as needed.
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp corn meal
vegetable oil for pan frying

**Since I was using fresh salmon, I had to poach the fish first.  I placed the fillets in a pie plate and poured approximately 1 inch of milk into the plate. Sprinkled with pepper only. Cover with foil and cook at 350* for about 10 minutes until the fish naturally flakes by a finger press.**

1. In one bowl, combine the flour and cornmeal (this is your outer crumb coat)
2. In a separate bowl, combine the egg and cracker crumbs.
3. Crumble by hand the cooled fish into the egg and cracker mixture.
4. Add in the chopped onions and pepper (or celery) and spices.
5. Mix by hand to incorporate spices thoroughly.
6. Try to form patties, similar to slider sized burgers. If the mixture doesn't stick together, add in breadcrumbs until the patty stays formed.
7. Coat both sides of the patties in the flour/cornmeal mixture
8. Cook in a skillet with 1/2 inch of hot vegetable oil.  A cast iron skillet would be awesome (but I don't have one)
9. About three to four minutes on each side, until golden brown or crispy.

One pound of fish netted seven patties, three full servings and one for the toddler.

I served this with a quick simple homemade coleslaw.
 

Coleslaw
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 small carrot grated finely (cheese grater)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper.

Combine and let settle in the fridge while meal is prepared.
I make this first before I make the rest of my meals.

And topped with a random avocado I had on hand. The creaminess of avocado next to the crispness of the cake/patty was AWESOME. Like woah, awesome!

The boys ate theirs with homemade tartar sauce, but I spritz a lemon on top and was in heaven!

I struggle with variety in my fish or shrimp dishes, so I was so excited that this got four thumbs up! (two from Hubs and two from the Kid)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...