Jul 30, 2013

On the Table: Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Muffins (gf/df)

-->
I randomly tried this recipe and the kids have fallen in love with it. so much so, that my son's class did a class-cookbook and they were asked to submit their favorite food from home and this is what he wanted to share. I told him that its kinda out there for other people to try, but he said 'no, they should!! they are super moist and don't dry out..mom, make them again!' (no lie..he's a good salesman.)

Because we've struggled with LittleOne's diet and trying to eliminate any triggers for her, we bake ALOT at home.  Trying to eliminate qluten at one point, I spent over an hour making my own oat flour from oatmeal. It was far cheaper for us to try it that way instead of the investment of a 5lb bag of oat flour.  I grind mine coursely so its large enough for cookies, smoothies, muffins, or whatever. 

(need to make again soon to get a picture)


Zucchini Banana Oatmeal Muffins (GF/DF/Egg free)


1 peeled and shredded zucchini (peeling it takes the green out and makes it hard to detect
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup applesauce
2/3 cup of milk or substitute, I used almond milk
2 tsp vanilla (this is generous, I like vanilla)

1 2/3 cups of oatmeal flour (use any flour) *
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 tbsp baking soda
1/3 cup brown sugar (if using agave or honey, reduce applesauce or milk)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt


1. Peel the zucchini if you have picky kids or hubbies! I actually shredded on the micro side to avoid picky kids noticing!
2. Take the shredded zuchini and press it with paper towels or cheesecloth to remove as much moisture as possible. I used a weighted bowl and towels to do it while I mixed the dry ingredients.
3. Combine the mashed banana into the zucchini, I mixed them thoroughly to make sure the flavors mixed well.
4. Add remaining wet ingredients to the banana/zucchini mixture.
5. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
6. Spice accordingly for your tastes. I used a 'jamacian baking spice mix' that has nutmeg, cloves and orange zest in it. Or just what you would normally for banana or spice bread.
7. Slowly combine your dry into your wet ingredients, mixing with a fork. This is muffin or bread, so do not over mix!

Standard muffins = 375* for 20minutes
mini muffins = 375* for 15minutes
bread = 375* for likely 45minutes depending on loaf size.

These muffins were insanely moist!! Almost spongey soft.

Little one ate three mini muffins for dinner....and well it had vegetables, how could I say 'no'??
 
 Hubs had no idea what was in them and grabbed them thinking they were banana muffins. Randomly texted me that the muffins were 'extra good this time'....sssh, we don't need to tell him either!

Bonus?? Get down with comfort food and add in some chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...