Aug 22, 2013

On the Table: "Winner Chicken Dinner"


I started this post yesterday before cooking and tasting, and then forgot to post it...oops.

So instead, I updated it with a post-dinner review!!

The flavors and the picture shown on the Martha Stewart site jumped out at me as all our favorites:
cilantro, chickpeas, AND cherry tomatoes?






Who needs meat? (other than the carnivores I call Hubs and LittleOne)

I altered the original of course, my notes are in red.

I loved the idea of this one, its actually perfect for freezer prep.  I threw everything into a bowl to mix as instructed and placed into a freezer gallon bag because our meal planning days got skewed and I couldn't use it fresh, so I stuck the pre-mixed and marinading chicken into the freezer for an extra day. It can't hurt to let these awesome flavors marry even longer, right?






Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup olive oil   <--- 1/4cup 
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons paprika: smoked, spicy, or a blend of the two
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
  • 2 tablespoons salt <--- 1tbsp
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 whole chicken, about 3 pounds, cut into 10 pieces   <--- 2.5lbs of boneless skinless thighs
  • 2 cans garbanzo beans or white beans, drained   <--- 1 can
  • 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes   <--- 1 pint


Directions

  1. Step 1

    Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Step 2

    Mix the marinade: olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, red pepper, cilantro (or parsley), salt, and pepper in a bowl. Using zip-top bags or a large container suitable for marinating, combine marinade, chicken, beans, and tomatoes, ensuring that everything, especially the chicken, is evenly coated with the marinade. Let marinate a few hours, all day, or overnight.
  3. Step 3

    When ready to cook, dump contents into large roasting pan. Roast 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and browned, and tomatoes have burst and caramelized.

    Review?

    I would definitely make this again, but without the chicken! Ha! The sauce was amazing and the kitchen smelled heavenly, so much so that when I set up the plates, both Hubs and Kiddo started right in before I could take a picture.  I used thighs to prevent it from becoming too dry, and they were cooked perfectly....but both Kiddo and I were too full from chomping and trying to steal the chickpeas and tomatoes to really put a dent in the chicken.

    Recipe as cooked: 3 out of 5 stars.
    Recipe for the chicken-free version: 5 stars.

    Yes, that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...