Sep 4, 2013

On the Table: Mushroom Stroganoff (V)

-->
When I meal plan I try to have one crockpot meal and one vegetarian meal a week (at least) which means this recipe was a 'two-fer'  This was one meal that incorporated both of my planning needs, not only is it vegetarian but it’s a crockpot meal. “Rock on April”

This is one of the very few purely vegetarian dinners that my carnivore husband will ask for! It has been several months since I made this, most likely before it was 100 degree weather. So bookmark this one for the fall or for your week nights now that school is back in.


Mushroom Stroganoff
-->(Sorry blogworld!! I cannot find my notes as to who/where this was inspired from...I do give credit where it is due, I promise)
2tbsp of butter
1lb of mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, julienned or chopped
2cups of vegetable stock (I ended up adding an extra cup to make it saucy)
1 tbsp of ketchup (trust me!)
sprinkle of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
cornstarch to thicken if desired
2cups cooked - egg noodles, rice, penne, etc.

1. melt butter in pot
2. add in sliced mushrooms and onions, cook to transparent but not mushy
3. add in ground pepper (I use fresh with large pieces) salt and garlic.
4. Add in stock, start with 2cups for now
5. add in ketchup, I almost didn't do it, but trust me it worked!
6. Stir and simmer for 30-40minutes. *this recipe was originally a crockpot recipe that I altered, so you could easily throw it in the crockpot at this point and cook on low for 4-6hours)
7. Watch for amount of sauce, I added another cup of water/stock to give us extra sauce.
8. After about 40minutes, I added in a little cornstarch-water slurry to thicken up the sauce slightly.
9. We had leftover plain penne pasta, 2cups, so I simply warmed that up and tossed it into the pot with the mushroom sauce and simmered for another 10minutes to warm the noodles.

This was heavenly, not only was it super-easy-peasy-like-1-2-3, but so yummy!
Using the penne made it a basic mushroom pasta, but it was creamy and coated the noodles perfectly (without milk or cream too!).
But this would also be good on top of brown or white rice, or egg noodles as originally instructed.


What is on your table this week?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...