Sep 12, 2013

On the Table: Healthy Mama BBQ Chicken (CP)

Last week was a crockpot recipe more suited for fall, but this one was used year round this past year.  It is chock full of veggies and it is like coming home to roasted chicken and vegetables in the middle of the week.  I've made this two different ways, but must admit that I've learned to love the idea of freezer prep for this one! So simple of tossing everything together and into gallon sized ziplock bags in the freezer.  The vegetables were better starting from a frozen state than fresh ironically, it avoided the mush factor certain veggies turn to.

 

link to original recipes and freezer prep. 
(my recipe below is for one dinner and my variations)

2 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, about 1.5 cups
1 large green or red or mixed pepper, cut into strips or cubes
2 zucchini, sliced about inch thick.
1 medium onion chopped or sliced. I did a thick slice
2 pounds chicken drumsticks
1 8oz cans of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 clove garlic, finely minced, about 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon salt
1 chicken boullion
1/2 cup water
pepper

--6hours on low.

Notes:
-I placed the veggies on the bottom of the pot. Kept them bigger pieces so they didn't mush up.
 
-I did just legs, but thighs would work great too.  I have also made this with frozen tenderloins for the white meat eaters, its great but does end up more as shredded chicken that falls apart (which is perfect for me and the toddler!)
 
-Mix the sauce parts (tomato sauce down) into a large bowl or bag to coat the meat and place on top of veggies

The original recipe calls for flour or tapioca to thicken the sauce/gravy...but I left it as the au jous and made a batch of rice to serve it like a bourbon chicken.

Got home  and steamed some broccoli on and called for dinner in 15minutes.

9yr old boy approved
37yr old picky man approved 
What is on your table this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...