Oct 29, 2013

On The Table: Chicken with Corn-Zucchini Salsa

Recently my one and only aunt was in town.
Seriously, I have only one aunt....who I get to see but once every year or so, when she visits from Kentucky.

Sandy deserves a shoutout for a moment since this is a health blog right?  Sandy is 58years old and has been meeting and surpassing her goals right and left this past year.  The chick has me beat by far! Skydiving, tattoo, and her biggest feat yet?  She just completed a 100mile bike ride. Woah.  I did a similar ride when I was 15yrs old with my dad and it kicked my arss, but here she is taking up bike riding in her 50's and to then complete a 100?


She left behind some goodies for me, in the form of three food magazines. She knows me so well, always on the lookout and trying new recipes.  So I inherited three Rachael Ray magazines.  I won't buy them personally because Rachael tends to do just multiple variations of burgers, pizzas, sandwiches, and pastas....all of which aren't big in our household due to carbs and the soy issue requires me to make most of our own bread and crusts.


But I did find one that was easy and fit more of our family style...a quick and easy recipe that ended up so easy I doubt I need to read over the recipe next time!

Rachael Ray's Original Recipe HERE "Grilled Chicken Cutlets with Zucchini, Corn and Cherry Tomato Sauce"

My tweaked version that involves things I had on hand is now renamed as:

"Grilled Chicken with a Corn-Zucchini Salsa"



  • 1 lemon juiced
  • 4 cloves garlic,minced
  • 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
  • 1 lb of skinless chicken breasts  tenders (about 6)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 ears corn, kernels cut from the cob
  • 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and diced
  • 1/2 small onion diced small
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tsp of basil (dry)
  • mozzarella cheese to sprinkle on top.

In a small bowl, squeeze the lemon and combine with 2-3 cloves of minced garlic and 3tbsp of olive oil.

Place marinade into a quart size baggie and add in the thawed chicken tenders to mix and marinate.


In a skillet, with 1-2tbsp of olive oil, add in the fresh corn and brown.  Throw a dab of butter in there to help the browning and more flavor if desired.

Cook on medium until the kernels start to brown and soften.

Add in the diced zucchini and onions and continue to saute together.

Add in the red pepper flakes and any remaining minced garlic.

Cook until the zucchini is tender.

Add in 2tbsp of butter, be generous to make a sauce.  Toss in the basil and let simmer for 2minutes.

Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, then transfer to plates.
 
Plate with two tenders, top with a generous spoonful of the sauce and sprinkle with a tiny amount of mozzarella cheese.  The cheese is just for fun and well cheese makes everything better anyway!

**The kids and I both loved this so much that we agreed that the corn-zucchini salsa should be made as a side dish by itself! I love finding a new vegetable to serve the family that is quick and easy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks DELICIOUS and easy...perfect combination. Can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing and your aunt Sandy sounds like a badass! I have an aunt Sandy that is quite a badass too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby!! I can't wait to put it in the rotation next month :)

      Delete

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...