Oct 22, 2013

On the Table: (V) Middle Eastern Rice w Black Beans and Chickpeas

This is one of the few recipes that is slightly ethnic for most tastebuds, that I actually have some guidelines for spices.  I do everything by smell, but this recipe was one that I found and notated as I went.

Hope it prompts someone to branch out of their norm.

Middle Eastern Rice with Black Beans and Chickpeas

1 tbsp olice oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 quart stock (vegetable or chicken)
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch chopped cilantro (optional)
1 bunch chopped parsley (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)

  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.
  • Stir in rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. 
  • Cook and stir 5 minutes, then pour in chicken stock. 
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
  • If you need or want to add in some protein, originally I read to use ground turkey but I actually had some chicken breast to use up.
  • Poach or prepare chicken (or even use leftovers!) for chopped or shredded and add in with the rice and stock step.
  • Gently mix cooked chicken, garbanzo beans, black beans, cilantro,parsley, and pine nuts into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
  • For Hub's tastes I also added in extra cilantro and cumin, but added in saffron with the other spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...