Hope it prompts someone to branch out of their norm.
Middle Eastern Rice with Black Beans and Chickpeas
1 tbsp olice oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 quart stock (vegetable or chicken)
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch chopped cilantro (optional)
1 bunch chopped parsley (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes, then pour in chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- If you need or want to add in some protein, originally I read to use ground turkey but I actually had some chicken breast to use up.
- Poach or prepare chicken (or even use leftovers!) for chopped or shredded and add in with the rice and stock step.
- Gently mix cooked chicken, garbanzo beans, black beans, cilantro,parsley, and pine nuts into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- For Hub's tastes I also added in extra cilantro and cumin, but added in saffron with the other spices.