Nov 5, 2013

On The Table: Chicken Pockets

I'm almost embarrassed to post some recipes that I think are so simple and easy its almost disrespectful to call them a 'recipe.'  We need to find a word for things that are 'whip-it-together-and-viola!' kind of things.

I made this earlier this summer and I think my kids fell in love with me even more than before. I mean, crescent rolls! Enough said, right??

Super easy weeknight dinner made with leftover chicken, but this recipe is versatile to make with anything you have on hand.  I'm thinking of making mini calzone type pockets with turkey pepperonis, olives and mushrooms for the boys and mushroom and onion for me. 

Sources:
I found the idea at Foodie Felisha,
who originally adapted it from Pennies on a Platter 


Between the three of us I think everyone can see how versatile the recipe is!

Chicken Pockets



Ingredients :
1 roll/package of reduced fat crescent rolls
1.5 cups of leftover chicken chopped or shredded
1 cup (or basically a handful) of fresh spinach leaves, chopped into bitesize pieces
1 medium tomato sliced thick (similar to thickness for hamburgers)
1/2 cup of reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions :
Warm the cream cheese in the microwave or soften it up for easier mixing.
In a bowl, combine the chicken, spinach, cream cheese, mozzarella and spices.

Unroll the crescent rolls into the 4 rectangles and close the seams to prevent the triangles from separating.

In the middle of the rectangle, place one slice of tomato and then a spoonful of the chicken mixture (likely a 1/4 cup?) sprinkle any extra mozzarella cheese on top and then close to seal the 'pocket.'

Repeat for the remaining three.

Using a silpat on the cookie sheet prevented any oozing mess.

Spray the tops of the pockets with Pam or use butter to help brown the tops.

Bake at 375* until golden brown.

I served mine with a side a corn and a green salad.  Kiddo enjoyed the pastry parts of it and the tomato was just so soft and juicy! He's asked for this again already.

*LowCarb or GlutenFree option: For myself and LittleOne we simply warmed the chicken mixture up in a bowl and ate the chicken/spinach mixture without any crescent roll.  Still very yummy, I was able to measure out 4oz of chicken mixture for my protein for the dinner.  Can be eaten warm or cold for lunch!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...