Dec 12, 2013

Festive Favorites Linkup!

In the spirit of last Thursday's post about trying to be more festive this year I'm jumping in with Amber and Jennifer for a fun linkup!
Crafty Healthy Mommy


  1. Favorite Christmas song - this is easy! "Oh Tannebaum" mostly because it holds a significant memory of growing up in Germany and our 3rd grade class went to a senior citizens home and we did an hour long performance with the finale being "Oh Christmas Tree" in full German. A vivid memory mostly because my parents forgot to pick me up and I was left at said senior home for an hour waiting! And yes, I still give my mom a hard time about that!
  2. Christmas song you can't stand - does anyone truly like "Santa Baby"? I don't know who sings it but it's just kinda ewwwie for a sexy song about Santa don't you think?
    Seriously?? I got pictures of hookers, Jenny McCarthy, Kellie Pickler and other
  3. Favorite holiday movie - The Holiday! Maybe not a classic by any means but very cute for a cynical romantic! Ha! 
  4. Real or artificial tree - fake all the way! I grew up with a fake and now I have two very asthmatic kiddos, so there wasn't a decision to make. Plus my cheapskate status would be questioned if I bought a real tree.
  5. White or colored lights - can I say both? Currently my tree is prelit with white, but my outdoor lights do have some colors in the shrubbery and trees.
  6. All matching ornaments or more random personal ornaments? I ask myself this every year.  I grew up with the random but sentimental ornaments and the collection was passed to me when I started my family.  Since I am the only one who has a collection and the kids have their respective few, I do about a 50/50 mix of sentimental random and then have solid gold or red balls mixed in to fill the tree.  My husband didn't celebrate Christmas until I thrust it upon him when we met. It is my holiday but he admits that he enjoys how fun the morning of really is especially now with the kids getting so excited.
  7. Favorite ornament - this. My very first ornament from 19** from Germany (I was born there) ugh, totally forgot to snap a picture this morning! I'll try and add it to instagram tonight :)
  8. Angel or star tree-topper? Growing up we had angels, but in my quirky house somehow we adopted a new tradition of a stuffed monkey! Totally random, but our first tree after my son was born and I could not find half of my ornaments or decorations. We had moved and I was at a loss. So my new to Christmas immigrant husband tossed my sons monkey (beanie baby) up and called it our "Christmas Monkey"  (this also deserves a picture doesn't it??)
  9. Does Santa wrap presents or leave them unwrapped? Santa is too busy for wrapping if he is giving them to all the good boys and girls ;)
  10. Favorite childhood memory. This is hard, I have so many that I realize are a blessing to have so many to choose from!  I grew up at a special time and place and it is hard to find kindred souls who shared those experiences of being an Army brat living in Germany in the 1980s.
  11. Coffee, hot chocolate, or eggnog? Anyone who knows me will yell COFFEE before even mentioning the other choices. Yep, coffee all day everyday year round if I could.
  12. Christmas morning at home or do you travel? We have our immediate family all cozy at home for breakfast and presents, then around 10am we trek down to my parents for more gifts and Christmas lunch.
  13. Traditional holiday meal or something unconventional? Oddly enough, the last couple years we've adopted a small lowkey Christmas meal.  The last three years it has been a brisket, greenbean casserole, potato salad and a green salad. That's it.  *This is likely because traditionally we would have ham for Christmas, but when I married I adopted a non-pork household.  And my family loves us enough that they don't have ham for that meal since it is a family meal time. 
  14. Personalized photo Christmas cards, store bought cards, e-cards, or "ain't nobody got time for that"? Ha! I am a horrible mom.  I did cutesy photocards with my son for the first three years and then fell off the wagon. I now have my daughter and haven't done them at all. Not even storebought generics! I'm horrible about going to the post office.

See, I'm trying not to  be such a scrooge this year!
(and yes, the tree was successfully up and decorated on Sunday as planned!)

4 comments:

  1. Ahh nice post! I am loving reading about everyones traditions! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm popping over for the first time from Amber and Jennifer's linkup. I agree with you on Santa Baby. I really listened to the lyrics the other day and was creeped out. Very fun to read your favorites. I really must see your Christmas monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Yes, I owe pictures bigtime to help explain our Christmas Monkey!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up, April! Love, love, love The Holiday!!

    ReplyDelete

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...