Dec 3, 2013

On the Table: CP Mushroom Stroganoff (V)

My houseguests are gone and that means I get to jump back into my routine! And this time of year means its crockpot season!! (who cares that is still in the 80s in Austin....darnit it is winter!)

We haven't been good about meatless Mondays or anydays in the past six months, low carb and meatless is hard to do for me...seriously I eat salads (dressing free) and veggies all the time, but once a day I need some meat of sort.

I decided to make a long lost favorite of mushroom stroganoff today!
Really, I meant to...and that was before I realized that I had three pounds of mushrooms in my fridge.
No really.

Completed stroganoff isn't much of a visual dinner, but when I was chopping last night the two different types of mushrooms it was sure purdy! Just a mountain of fresh mushrooms, it was hard not to grab a skillet and some olive oil and salt and just make a bowl of grilled mushrooms!

CrockPot Mushroom Stroganoff
1 tbsp of butter
1 medium onion sliced thin
1 pound mushrooms sliced. (I used two different types in the above picture)
2 cups of vegetable stock
1/2 bouillon cube extra (optional)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1-2 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup (I hate opening a can of paste for a small amount)
1/2 cup sour cream

and have corn starch or flour on hand at the end if you wish to thicken it up more.

The original recipes (Tasty Kitchen) recommends you start the saute process to soften the mushrooms and start the carmelization of the onions the night before, hence the butter.  This is a great kick starter if you can actually be home after the recommended 4 hours on high per their recipe.

I personally can't do a crockpot in only 4hours, we are gone for 11 hours in the day.  Instead I use a timer and let the crockpot do its job on low for 6 hours and then it switches to 'warm.'

Throw everything into the crockpot except for the sour cream and go on your merry way to work or errands to get you out of the house. (Don't you love instructions like that!ha)

When we get home I pour the mushrooms and sauce into a skillet and use that to thicken up the sauce with the sour cream.  Stir and toss them around for any texture consistency. This is where I gauge if I need to thicken the sauce up more with the cornstarch or not.

For the boys I serve it on egg noodles like real stroganoff and a large green salad.
I typically eat mine simply in a bowl or mixed with a small portion of rice.



I'm always on the hunt for other simple vegetarian options, 
so post any great links or recipes you might have to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...