Dec 17, 2013

On The Table: Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Stack


What better day to share this than today, because today for our holiday luncheon we are heading to Abuelo's restaurant where I will test my resistance to yummy salsa and chips and save those calories for an amazing chile relleno...

The name is a mouthful, isn't it??
I made this last week and immediately thought to share it.  So easy to put together and from basic things I happened to have on hand.  I created this as a hodge podge of my ingredients for enchiladas and technique from a random 'taco lasagna' recipe I had on hand.  So my kids just called it Mexican Chicken Lasagna, so you can call it what you will!

But this?
ROCKED everyone's socks off! So easy for a weeknight if you have leftover chicken to use up.  Actually enchiladas are a go-to leftover dish for my deboned chicken after we have a rotisserie chicken.  Don't tell, but I will schedule a rotisserie chicken dinner solely for the intent of enchiladas soon afterward.

So much easier than traditional enchiladas! but the same ingredients in fewer dishes.

Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Stack
(aka Mexican Chicken Lasagna)

2-3 cups leftover chicken cubed or shredded
1 medium onion
1 can of black beans
1/2 cup of corn
1 jar of green salsa
4 oz can of green chilis (optional for extra spice!)
10 corn tortillas
3-4 tbsp of sour cream
cumin, paprika, garlic (to taste)
1-2 cups of shredded colby jack cheese


 
1. Dice onion and saute to semi-transparent
2. add in cubed or shredded chicken to warm and continue cooking with onion
3. add in drained black beans and corn (I use frozen, but either would work)
4. mix together until hot
5. add in green salsa, this was to sight based on how thick or thin your salsa is.  Add 1 cup at first and mix. Add more if you don't have a 'sauce'
6. once your mixture is at a saucy consistency, add in a dollop of sour cream (or two or three) to make the sauce slightly creamy.
7. turn off sauce and preheat your oven to 375 or 400 depending on the schedule.
8. in an empty skillet or flat iron, brown the corn tortillas.

*this is a technique preference, rolled enchiladas call for oiled tortillas to make them fold without breaking....since this is stacked, I eliminate the oil but toughen up the tortillas so they don't turn mushy

9. in the bottom of a 9x13, either spray with Pam or splash some remaining green sauce from the jar you didn't use to coat the bottom of the pan.
10. first layer is 4 tortillas. Tear them in half if you wish to cover most of the area.
11. pour half of your chicken/bean/corn mixture ontop of the tortilla layer
12. lay a thin layer of cheese ontop of the chicken
13. another layer of tortillas, I typically flip the pattern so nobody gets jipped out of the tortillas!
14. remaining chicken mixture
15. a thicker layer of cheese ontop. Be generous if you like!

*I then take the remaining green salsa from the jar and pour it around the edges of the 9x13 to avoid any hard crusty tortillas that didn't get covered.

16. cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted.

It looks like several steps, but it really is a simple recipe with very few items.  All these items are staples in our home anyway so I picture this one on the menu calendar often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...