Dec 11, 2013

San Antonio Dirty Girl Survival

Let's get the most important fact out of the way regarding this past Saturday's event:

5:00am
It was beyond friggin cold, there was no good reason for us spoiled south Texas weather pansies to be outdoors at all, let alone attempting water challenges and such.

However, I am such a cheapskate that I forced myself, sister, and friend to sacrifice our own health for the sake of the cost of this event.  They both could have easily reminded me that we ended up with a generous coupon for half the costs, but they didn't.

Friday evening I had headed down to San Antonio to stay since the event was truly in Floresville which is an hour outside of the city.  I decided that I was completely unprepared for the arctic blast, and yes, I'm still calling it that because frankly it is the coldest we've had in several years!  My friend and I ventured to Target and got myself a compression long sleeve under shirt (and Starbucks of course!)

The alarms were set and everyone tried to mentally prepare for Saturday and facing temperatures unheard of in December.

5:00am wakup, snapshot of the current weather conditions.  I think I gasped outloud when I read the windchill was 15*.  Got situated and had the girls over by 5:45am and in the car by 6am to head out to Floresville.

Our wave time wasn't officially until 9am, but because of the distance and that they had packet pickup on a Thursday (why??) all of us had to do pickup and the website and emails said to arrive at least 2hours early for parking and such.

When we arrived at 7:30is the weather had improved to a whooping 19* but the dew and mist had started to fade.  We wrapped ourselves up to get our packets and checked in and then hustled back to the car to keep warm since we had a solid hour before lining up.

I lucked out with front row parking, so we actually could see part of the route from the warmth of the car, but 8am came and went and we didn't see the first wave start.  I actually said 'oooh, are they cancelling it???' I must admit that the idea of it being cancelled was a relief, but alas, I was wrong.

The crowds looked minimal, no doubt smarter women said 'screw it!' and stayed warm and cozy in their beds.  So the three of us decided to throw caution to the wind and just jump into the next wave at 8:30ish.

"Ladies! So glad to see your happy smiling faces in this cold cold weather!!  BUT, for your safety and health we are advising you to take the DETOURS around the water hazards as the temperature is below freezing right now.  
You CAN do them, but we are NOT encouraging them due to the weather conditions."



All in all it was actually really fun once we started moving.  It was really only cold when we were facing the wind or when we got stuck behind a crowd of people.  Seriously it was the easiest 5K I've ever done, not because I've run so much more and better physically this time around, but because the running was broken up by the obstacles.  Every obstacle was viewable from the other, and I think there were 9? Across 3.1 miles it makes them fairly close to one another.

We all had agreed even before the health-conscious promoters advised us, that we would be skipping the water or mud events.  The climbing and bouncing obstacles were really fun though, imagine all these grown women bouncing down a bouncy castle on its side? I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of people seeing us.

I have to admit that I looked forward to the climbing events oddly enough? I have no idea why, but they were fun.

So ultimately the idea of a 5K Obstacle course was very intimidating, but if this event were held in spring or early summer, I would totally jump at the chance to do it! Seriously, the obstacles really made the 5K a non-issue!

Evidence of our survival and to be able to smile afterwards!

Ha, I realize that I don't post my face enough on here since I feel the need to point me out as the person on the far left!

(I do post pictures easier and more often on my Instagram account.)





Anyone else try the Dirty Girl Mud Run? It actually is a supporter of BrightPink.org and has various sites across the country!

"Bright Pink is the only national non-profit organization focusing on the prevention and early detection of breast and ovarian cancer in young women, while providing support for high-risk individuals."

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad they had the decency to take the mud and water obstacles away at least!

    ReplyDelete

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...