Feb 25, 2014

On The Table: A Turkey-tweaked Shepard's Pie

Sorry for bailing on my Monday post yesterday, it would have been a forced macro rundown and last week was a complete bust. Mentally and food wise, so I chalked it up to last week and have been pushing through and trying to get my groove back this week.

But I remembered that I took a picture a couple weeks ago of my random Shepard's Pie that was just awesome. Like better than any that I've made before!?  And the bonus was that it was totally thrown together and "healthified."  I make it a habit to make a large batch of mashed potatoes or rice whenever I'm cooking it, I try to make enough either for lunch prep or a second meal. This time it clicked to make a Shepard's pie.

Turkey-Tweaked Shepard's Pie

1 lb of ground turkey (I use 93%)
1 medium onion diced small
2 carrots diced
1/2 cup frozen peas thawed

thyme
salt/pepper
cornstarch or other thickening agent
2 cups chicken stock
shredded colby jack cheese (or other favorite)
2 cups of mashed potatoes (packaged or homemade)

**Normal shepard's pie has tomato paste in the sauce, which I love....but we are having to reduce the amount of acid in our dinners for LittleOnes' and Hubs reflux issues. 

  • Go ahead and make fresh mashed potatoes like normal if you don't have some ready to roll or a package you like. You will need appox 2 cups of prepared mashed potatoes. Prepare and set aside
  • Saute onions and carrots until onions are softened.
  • add in ground turkey and brown thoroughly.
  • sprinkle 1tbsp corn starch onto meat and carrot mixture and stir to incorporate or coat the meat 
  • add 1cup of the stock and turn down to simmer. add more fluid if necessary to ensure the carrots are softened to your liking.  I don't add in the full 2cups to avoid making it too saucy.
  • when the carrots are "al dente" stir in the thawed peas and season with thyme, salt and pepper.
  • Pour the meat mixture into a corningware or oven safe casserole dish
  • Normal pie step: In the prepared mashed potatoes, mix in about 1/2 cup of preferred shredded cheese (this helps bind the topping together) and layer the mashed potatoes ontop of meat and top with smidge of cheese mostly for decor.
  • My alternate last time: I did not mix cheese into the potatoes, but instead laid deli baby swiss cheese slices ontop of the meat before the mashed potatoes. Added the smidge ontop for decor only.
Place in 400* oven for 20minutes or shorter if preferred. The sauce should bubble up around the edges or until the of potatoes get some light browning.

Remove and  let cool. Serve with a green veggie of your choosing and eat up!

Hubs had two servings and Kiddo called dibbs on leftovers the following night.





3 comments:

  1. I llooooooooooooveeeee me some Shepard's Pie. Although I never thought to use Turkey in it! Neato! Will have to give that a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lack of the tomato paste and changing to turkey makes it feel not as such a 'heavy' dish! Granted you have to season turkey much more than beef. I hope you try it and let me know!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I've been looking for a healthier version. Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...