Jul 9, 2014

On The Table: Breakfast Cookies

I feel a day behind around here....I normally post recipes on Tuesdays but wanted to share this quick and dirty recipe before I lost the scrap of paper in my bottomless pit that I call my purse.

Inspired by Once A Month Meals version of a "kid friendly" breakfast cookie, 
I used what I randomly found in my barren pantry before my weekly grocery trip.  

Why am I making cookies when I am on my lowest level of carbs?
Remember those pesky kids with awesome metabolisms?
 Good thing they are cute!


"Quickie Cookies"


  • 2 cups of cereal - I happen to have HEB Oats and Honey but you can use whatever you find.
  • 1/2 cup of flour - I mixed the last of my coconut flour and wheat
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar - probably alittle too much sweetness, but this is the only sugar used.
  • 3/4 cup of fatfree vanilla yogurt
  • 1/3 cup oil - I used coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cranberries - I used cherry flavored cranberries, we typically have cherry and blueberry on hand.
  • *flaxseed seen in picture was just a sprinkling, not measured.

In one bowl you can get a helper to crunch up the cereal.  Sure you can throw the cereal into a baggie and use a rolling pin, but if you happen to have a 3yr old you likes to get her hands dirty, then let her scrunch it up with her hands. Besides, you don't want it completely powdered, you want some crunch!

With your now crunched up cereal, add in all the dry ingredients minus the cranberries or raisins if you are one of those people (blech)

In a separate bowl, or a 2cup measuring cup, stir together your yogurt and oil of choice. If you wish to add vanilla I would do it here.

Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and mix until a cookie batter consistency.  This has no egg or milk, you may need to add additional yogurt or applesauce if you need more moisture depending on your cereal of choice.

Fold in your cranberries and spoon up your cookies  to your size liking! These measurements gave us exactly 12 cookies (that lasted all of one hour after the biggest kid got home!)

350* for about 15minutes or until the bottoms appear to carmelize or browned.


This is not a crunchy cookie at all, in fact the longer you let them sit up after cookie, the softer they become.  

Enjoy!!
 And if you find a yummy combination to share, let me know!
For the kids to try of course! (no, not me....#sarcasm)



1 comment:

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...