Oct 23, 2014

[Product review] Are you feeling warm?

I purposely don't post too much of the Kidlet stuff on here, mostly because there are plenty of very educational and well written blogs/articles about parents of kids. I'm not one of those type bloggers....I'd much rather post funny geek gifs and whine about my thunderthighs.

 I'm just a regular mom blogger. 
 
I am just a mom who's had to learn as things have been thrown at me, whether it was RSV, infantile seizures, undiagnosed asthma for three years, then asthma maintenance and monitoring.  That was the easy kid.

With the winter or wet season coming up, yes, even in Austin, a single hour of a pleasant sprinkle classifies as rain. We take what we can get, and panic nonetheless to drive in it #sadbuttrue

With the allergy or weather induced asthma, I have to be very intuned with the kidlets and catch colds and sniffles very early on.  LittleOne has gone from no signs and to being hospitalized in respiratory distress within 48hours.  Needless to say, winters keep me on alert. 

Now I'm pretty good since dealing with Kiddo for 10yrs and now LittleOne for almost 4yrs, but even I sometimes turn slacker. Shocker, I know!?  So while I try to stay cool in front of the kids and minimize their colds or sniffles, the mom inside is raising the alert level to orange with every single cough that is heard.

For years now I've had a practice of venturing into toddler bedrooms to listen for coughing and breathing patterns, but also to check temperatures.  Overnights are always the most stressful for me especially in the new house where I cannot hear them as easily.

Healthy baby or not, I think every parent has tried to do this sneak attack with the thermometer, right?  sneak attack in the dark, and you have to swipe a forehead with a temporal thermometer or one that goes on the neck? Or even old school and you've shoved one in an armpit?  That's all fine and good, but when you question the reading (and have OCD) you end up repeating the test to verify the reading right? yep...average of three tests


I recently got giddy like (when you win a free coffee) and was selected (thanks to Influenster) to test out a new Braun thermometer.  They either found me by my OCD references or by the fact that I'm just like every other mom trying to keep a healthy house.


I received this about three weeks ago, and I am still amazed at how far technology has come just in the time that I've been doing this motherhood thing.  With Kiddo, the tall standup in the picture above was the newest and greatest at the time. A 'temporal' test that you swipe across the forehead and it beeps and flashes and whatnot.  At the time we left the hospital the first time from infantile seizures, we made the hefty investment of $79.99 because that was what the hospital used.

Then with LittleOne, we continued to use the temporal, again that is what the hospitals and doctors offices used but Hubs and I both would get frustrated at having to do repeat scans to get a valid reading because they were never the same. EVER.  So in the frustration, Hubs picked up the new one (blue on the left) which is similar but you place it under the earlobe for the reading.  Its good, don't get me wrong....but we all are in love with this new Braun "No Touch *silent* " thermometer.

  • It is no-touch.
  • and it has a mute button  (hello midnight sneak attack readings! yess!)
  • The large-font screen that displays the reading will also conveniently 
  • change colors from green to orange to red as the temp increases.
  • You can either use the no-touch option by placing it near the center of the forehead about two inches away, or if doing it on yourself can be used like traditional temporal by touching your forehead (no swiping required)

We all have played with it quite a bit and have not seen the erratic readings like we've been experiencing with our others.  Even with my preference to take three and average it, I haven't felt a need to double-check this one. 

Truly, this was easy enough that when LittleOne went for a sleepover at gramma's house, we sent it along in her bag because it was easy enough and I didn't have to demo it for my mom at all. I just said 'turn it on and LittleOne can do it herself or she will show you what button.'

*I received this product for testing and review in exchange for the product, thanks to Influenster Voxbox and Braun.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to all comments!! I love the interaction and feedback from each and everyone of you! Please check to make sure your email address is linked to your comment so I can reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...